The Admissions process at a Public School is governed by legislation and regulations.
Application forms need to be completed in full and submitted to the School. Submissions can be made Monday – Friday from 08:00 to 12:00.
Please note that Jeppe High School for Boys is a secondary school, catering for Grades 8 – 12 only.
We expect that applicants with aspirations of becoming part of the Jeppe family would subscribe to the basic ethos of the School which has a history and tradition built up since 1890:
- There are a strong spirit and loyalty to the Jeppe “Family” (the Prep School, the Girls’ School, the Alumni Associations and the Jeppe Quondam Club);
- Participation in co-curricular sporting and cultural activities is expected – there are over 20 Clubs and Societies in which learners may find opportunities to develop their latent abilities, interests and leadership skills;
- Jeppe is a boarding school – both weekly (Sunday night to Friday afternoon/Saturday morning) and termly boarding are offered. Jeppe has provided a ‘home from home’ for generations of Jeppe boys;
- There is a traditional approach to school uniform and codes of conduct as standards relating to haircuts, dress and behaviour are expected to be upheld by all. Boys are expected to wear their School colours with pride;
- Parents, learners, and staff are committed to a multi-cultural approach to education i.e. although the basic cultural environment of the School and language of teaching and learning is English, learners must learn tolerance and respect for those of other cultures and home languages;
- Academic standards, sporting achievement, cultural activities and the general tone of the School must be maintained;
- The current pupil/teacher ratio is 21:1 with a maximum class size of 30 striven for;
- All Grades 8 and 9 pupils take the same learning areas in accordance with the National Curriculum;
- A wide range of subject choices is offered in Grades 10 – 12 but there is particular emphasis on maths, science, and the humanities. Boys wishing to specialize in commercial, technical or arts fields should apply elsewhere;
- The optional subjects for Grades 10 – 12 are (boys are required to take three of them (previously-used names for some subjects are included in brackets for sake of clarity): Accounting, Business Studies, Civil Technology (Woodwork), Engineering Graphics and Design (Technical Drawing), Geography, History, Information Technology (Computer Studies), Life Sciences (Biology), Physical Science, Visual Art (Art);
- All boys are required to take English, Afrikaans (or isiZulu), Mathematics (or Mathematical Literacy) and Life Orientation;
- Parents of applicants need to be willing to accept the commensurate financial responsibility attached to all the benefits their son’s receive at Jeppe – where they receive a private school quality education at public school rates.
For further details, please contact:
Manager: New Admissions
Manager: Elite Recruitment